Vegan Sushi roll recipeFrom VeganWolf
Vegan Sushi roll.
- Cooked white rice, still warm.
- Flat seaweed sheets, Nori.
- Wasabe or dry mustard powder
- Soy sauce
- Rice wine vinegar
- black sesame seeds
- Chives, chopped
- Partially cooked carrot sticks
- Cucumbers, cut in thin sticks
- Firm Tofu cut in long sticks
- Red Bell peppers
- all cut into long thin sticks
- Lay out a piece of seaweed.
- Top with about 1/3 c warm rice at one end.
- Sprinkle rice with a little soy sauce (optional)
- Roll up tightly, like jelly roll.
- Seal edge with just a touch of Wasabe paste or soy sauce.
- Slice with a sharp serrated knife.
- For Optional ingredients:
- Add a stick of carrot, tofu, cucumber, red pepper, or whatever to the rice, and roll up tightly, and seal. Slice as before.
- Optional: Sprinkle tops with a little sesame seed and/or chives. (can also mix some into the rice before rolling)
Serve with chop sticks, more Wasabe and soy sauce.
You can either lay out all the ingredients and have your guests roll them or you can prepare them and slice them in 1 inch pieces. If you aren't familiar with Wasabe it is HOT! It comes in a tube for easy use, or in dry powder. (Watch ingredients though... I have seen some Wasabe paste made with Lactose!)
If you can't find vegan Wasabe, just use regular dry mustard powder, and add enough water to form a paste.... It is very hot too!
Just a small dab will seal the roll.
NOTES: Seaweed is found usually in the oriental sections of super markets. They come in flat packs, about the size of a piece of paper.
Be sure and put extra Wasabe or mustard paste on the table for people to use at their own risk.
It turns into a fun part of the gathering just watching people put too much Wasabe on their sushi roll!
I make these all the time for a quick lunch for myself...
For more Traditional sushi roll: Sprinkle rice with a little rice wine vinegar and mix well. A couple teaspoons per cup of rice is suffice.
You can roll the sushi without the seaweed, if you prefer, but it takes practice
Want to help keep Veganwolf up and running? 100% of Donations help maintain this site, and go only for promoting a vegan way of life.
(Clicking on Google Ads and Gourmet Ads also helps...)
Have a great day!