Veganwolf.com Recipe Collection
VEGAN Meatless meat RECIPES
HOMEMADE vegan Seitan, wheat meat
Cholesterol Free Vegan Recipe Copied directly from http://www.gentleworld.org/recipes.html
Wheat gluten is the natural protein portion of wheat that is extracted after wheat is milled into flour. In its processed form, wheat gluten is a fine tan flour consisting of about 75-80% protein.
Seitan is made from wheat gluten flour and can be used for many purposes.
It is one of the best meat substitutes for flavor absorption as well as texture.
It is high in protein and low in fat. Once prepared, it can be sliced into strips
and served with different sauces or ground for tacos, lasagna, chili, etc.
Basic Seitan Recipe (Wheat-Meat)
yields 5 large pieces
- 18-20 C. water (for boiling)
- 1/2 t. sea salt
- 4 1/2 C. gluten flour
- 1/2 C. nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. dried basil
- 1 t. sea salt 1 t. herb seasoning
- 1 t. onion powder
- 1 t. oregano
- 3 1/2 C. water
- 1/4 C. molasses
- 1/4 C. tamari or substitute
- Add sea salt to the water and bring to a boil.
- In a medium-sixed bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, yeast and spices). Stir well.
- In a separate bowl or a measuring cup, mix together the remaining liquids.
- Add liquid to the dry and mix thoroughly until dough is consistent.
- It should be solid and firm, yet not dry.
- Pour onto tray and knead dough until all air is removed. Form a rectangular loaf on the tray and cut into even pieces (approx 3 x 3").
- Place the pieces of dough into boiling water. Boil for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove a piece and cut it to see if it is done. It should be firm all the way through.
- Drain water and cool seitan on a tray.
If not for immediate use, leave in large pieces and freeze. Keeps well in the freezer.
When removing from freezer, defrost then prepare as directed in recipe.
Tips / Options / Notes
A great basic Seitan!
Use as any meat!